Thursday, March 16, 2006

A NICE STRAIGHTFORWARD ONE




A nice straightforward one to cut the red ribbon on this new all-singing, all-dancing Homo Ludens site. Next month MOJO celebrates its 150th issue. MOJO began in October 1993, and quickly became the cauliflower to Q's cabbage.

It was aimed at the all-important 25-40 year old market. I was only just 13 at the time, but I bought it all the same - as I did the next 42 issues. Issue 43 must have been a stinker, because that was the first one I didn't buy.

Anyway, to celebrate their big one five oh, they have asked readers to select their top 10 albums since October 1993. These are mine:

1.
DJ Shadow, Endtroducing
2. Baby Bird, The Complete Lo-Fi
3. Arto Lindsay, Mundo Civilizado
4. De La Soul, Art Official Intelligence 2: Bionix
5. XTC, Apple Venus Vol. 1
6. Bob Dylan, Love and Theft
7. Kate Bush, Aerial
8. Streets, Original Pirate Material
9. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP
10. Brian Wilson, Smile!

60% of that list were making records before MOJO began. Still, I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself for having fogeyish music tastes. I mean, what's the alternative? The Arctic Bloody Monkeys? Actually, before I slag off the entire post-1995 musical output,
this suggests that the Futureheads (pretty much the only NME arse-lickees of the last 18 months to whom anyone with a semblance of taste should give a second look) might pull off the difficult-second-album trick.
<

3 Comments:

Blogger Calamity reads said...

DJ Shadow, Endtroducing is a great album. It reminds me of Uni and I guy. Say no more......

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DJ shadow - thats original padington!

5:08 PM  
Blogger minifig said...

I believe I remember when you bought the first copy. If I'm being brutally honest (which I feel is the best way to be honest) I thought at the time that it was for people more mature than myself. Still do really.

Do you think Aerial has the strength to retain that place in this chart? I didn't think it was all that great...

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home