Sunday, July 09, 2006

DOES ANYONE STILL DO SHOUT OUTS?

Does anyone still do shout outs? Or were they part of Fukuyama's whole "end of history" bollocks? Well, assuming that the shout out is still an formal part of bloggification, here goes...

Two of the highlights of my birthday last week were two splendid compilations from Minifig and Darling Vicarage. DV was showing worrying tendencies for a while of giving MissingDustJacket up entirely, though I am glad to see her own (may I say rather sexy) style of blogging has returned to the online fray. So that is, as they say in 1066 and all that, a good thing.

I should probably preface Minifig's blog with an anecdote (I am becoming rather Zizekian with my anecdotes, except that he is funny [I am not], he has a beard [I, despite my friends' suggestions, do not], and he is a Slovenian dissident [coincidentally, I am too]). Today I went to Big Ken's Rise festival in Finsbury Park. The toilets weren't bad at all, thank you for asking. One fellow toileteer, upon pointing his todger at a green plastic urinal, turned to me and said: "Oi mate - it's like pissing in Legoland innit!"

He was right - it was. Minifig might know a little about pissing in Legoland. After all, he knows about Lego (see here for proof) and one assumes, unless something is very wrong, that he knows a little about doing a wee. So - you do the math.

The point is: these two splendissimo people did me compilations, both of which were good to start with, and both of which are growers.


A GROWER

For your doubtless elephantine interest, I shall recount tracklistings for both:

MINIFIG:

1. DJ SHADOW, Walkie Talkie
2. ARCADE FIRE, Wake Up
3. SUPERGRASS, Kiss of Life
4. BECK, Epro
5. ROY MONTRELL, (Every time I hear that) Mellow Saxophone
6. STEVE EARLE, Snake Oil
7. GNARLS BARKLEY, Smiley Faces
8. DAVID BANNER feat. Magic and Lil Bossie, I Ain't Got Nothin'
9. THE ROOTS feat Cody, The Seed 2.0
10. HALF MAN HALF BISCUIT, A Country Practice
11. JOSEPH ARTHUR, Even Tho
12. WILLY MASON, Live it up
13. CHARLOTTE HATHERLEY, Bastardo
14. MADELEINE PEYROUX, Between the Bars
15. MARK RONSON, Just [the sole shit track on the CD]
16. THE FLAMING LIPS, Race for the Prize
17. JOSE GONSALEZ, Hand on your Heart [the other sole shit track on the CD]

DARLING VICARAGE:

1. MC HONKY, Soft Velvety 'fer
2. CAPTAIN, Broke
3. KID CARPET, Special
4. NADA SURF, Popular
5. WHALE, Kickin'
6. THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS, Love my Way
7. BOY KILL BOY, Suzie
8. THE DRESDEN DOLLS, The Jeep Song
9. HEFNER, Painting and Kissing
10. TORI AMOS, I'm not in love
11. ANTONY AND THE JOHNSONS, Fistful of Love [I can't abide this man]
12. THE CARPENTERS, Superstar
13. SOUL COUGHING, Disseminated
14. 4 HERO, Les Fleurs
15. JILL SOBULE, Supermodel
16. FIONA APPLE, Extraordinary Machine

2 Comments:

Blogger minifig said...

I'm glad you enjoyed our work, although I still think you're wrong about the Just cover...

7:10 PM  
Blogger raspberry beret said...

why, thank you for the shout-out HL - not so bad yourself.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home