Saturday, August 25, 2007

MY MY, THE CLOCK IN THE SKY IS POUNDING AWAY

I woke up this morning with a breeze on the nape of my neck. I opened the curtains and, to my amazement, found that the predictions of a Bank-Holiday-only, catch-it-while-you-can summer were true.

The best thing about really beautiful summer days is that it gives you the perfect opportunity to play music that may sound a bit corny or a bit awkward when it's cold and drab, but which tingle with colour and electricity when shards of sunlight fall on them.

Here are four of those records : three overlooked gems, and an all-out classic to finish. And remember :

To make this trivial world sublime,
take half a gram of phanerothyme.

To fathom Hell or soar angelic,
just take a pinch of psychedelic...









The Monkees, "Porpoise song"
The Beatles, "It's all too much"
The Move, "I can hear the grass grow"
Jefferson Airplane, "White rabbit" + "Somebody to love"

1 Comments:

Blogger raspberry beret said...

Precisely. I had to listen to The Lovin' Spoonful's Summer in the City this morning before it became September again.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home